Turmeric is the primary spice in curry and is a member of the ginger family. It has been used for centuries to add flavor and color to food and as an ancient medicinal remedy for the treatment of many symptoms and ailments. Turmeric is an excellent source of manganese, iron, fiber, vitamin B6, potassium, vitamin C and magnesium. Its healing benefits and bright yellow color come from a flavonoid, curcumin, which is a potent antioxidant. More and more research is backing up these healing benefits that have long been known in ancient medicine. Here are just 5 benefits of turmeric that you should know…
5 Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric Reduces Inflammation
Turmeric has been used for thousands of years to address inflammation and pain. Studies have shown that turmeric extract supplements work just as well as ibuprofen and other over-the-counter anti-inflammatory products for reducing joint pain and joint swelling as well reducing as other aches and pains.
Turmeric Aids in Stomach Upset and Digestive Problems
Turmeric helps signal your body to produce bile which aids in fat digestion. Better fat digestion can help relieve bloating and gas, reflux, and stomach cramps. Turmeric’s anti-inflammatory effects can also help to heal your gut lining, helping to heal conditions like irritable bowel syndrome, leaky gut and Crohn’s.
Turmeric Helps with Diabetes Management
Turmeric helps to lower blood sugar which in turn can help to reduce insulin resistance. Reducing or reversing insulin resistance can sometimes lead to reversing diabetes. In addition, balancing blood sugar and insulin are key to balancing other hormones and has positive effects in preventing or treating such issues as heart disease, fatigue and weight gain.
Turmeric May Help Fight Cancer
Research is showing the possibility that turmeric may kill cancer cells, reduce tumor sizes and help stop the creation, growth and spread of cancer cells. In addition, research has shown that using curcurmin along with chemotherapy may be more effective than using chemotherapy alone.
Turmeric May Protect the Brain
Research has found that turmeric may prevent plaque from building up and interfering with cerebral function seen in Alzheimer’s patients. Turmeric may also help repair stem cells in the brain.
Ways to Get More Turmeric
Now that you’ve seen 5 benefits of turmeric, how can you get more turmeric to take advantage of these benefits?
Add Turmeric to your Diet
You can add turmeric to your diet in many ways. Add it to soups, stews and vegetables. Make curry dishes. Here are some recipes you’ll enjoy.
GOLDEN MILK [serves 2]:
- 1 tsp Turmeric paste
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- Raw organic honey to taste, about 1-2 teaspoons (can substitute stevia)
- Add all ingredients except honey to a sauce pan
- Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Do not to let it to boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the honey
- 1/2 cup turmeric
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1.5 teaspoons black pepper
- 5 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
- Add all ingredients except the coconut oil to a sauce pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until the mixture has a paste consistency
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut oil
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid
GREEN EGGS WITH TURMERIC [serves 1]:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper (if you tolerate nightshades)
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms of your choice
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1-2 organic eggs, whipped with a fork or whisk
- 1/4 small avocado, diced or smashed
- Melt coconut oil in a large frying pan
- Add onions and red pepper and saute until onions are clear
- Add mushrooms and saute until they release their juices
- Add kale and spices and saute until kale is bright green
- Stir in eggs and cook until eggs are cooked through
- Transfer to a plate and stir in avocado
If you’d like to know how you can work with Susan to reduce your inflammation and reach your optimal health goals, click below to schedule a complimentary 15-minute Discovery Session.